The warm temperatures of summer can be difficult on cars, but Sell My Car has easy maintenance tips to make sure your car is running smoothly.
Summer days may mean fun in the sun, but the heat and ultraviolet rays can cause significant damage to a vehicle and cost a lot of money if you don’t keep things in check. A thorough inspection of your vehicle will give you peace of mind and help make your road travel safer, so the Sell My Car team are sharing their top tips to protect your car from the stress of summer heat.
“A car can withstand all types of conditions, but heat does have a great impact on vehicles,” said Alan Holgate, retail services director for Sell My Car. “It is important to care for your car and get it ready for the warmer weather. You can do this yourself or visit a mechanic. Regular maintenance of your car will help to avoid higher service costs in the future.”
As you adjust to the warmer weather, check out these top tips from the team at Sell My Car to keep your ride rolling. If in doubt, consult a qualified mechanic:
- Protect yourself and your passengers. It’s hot out there. Everyone should stay hydrated, and keep them cool by running the air conditioning and parking your vehicle in the shade when possible. Make safety a priority and always wear a seat belt.
- Avoid an engine meltdown. Staying cool is paramount, not just for ourselves but also for our cars. In addition to checking the level of coolant fluid in your car, also inspect the state of the hoses and the coolant reservoir. Keep an eye out for leaks, especially at joints and connection points, such as where a hose connects to the engine block. Routine checks and fluid changes at scheduled intervals can help prevent costly repairs.
- Replace old wiper blades. Sudden summer thunderstorms are the wrong time to discover that your wiper blades are shot. Driving decisions are based on visibility, and worn wipers can create nasty streaks across the windshield, affecting your view of the road. Replacing them doesn’t cost much but can be a tricky operation. Check to see if your dealership or auto parts store includes free installation with purchase.
- Maintain proper tyre pressure. Tyre pressure should be checked regularly all year round, but particularly with major temperature changes. Tyre pressure increases as the temperature rises, which could cause tread wear issues and the vehicle to brake and handle poorly. Pressure information can be found in your vehicle’s manual, on the inside of the fuel door or on the door jamb of the driver’s door.
- Stay cool with a dashboard sunshade. Summer sun can cause cosmetic damage to your car and make it harder to cool off inside when it’s time to drive. For those times when your car is parked out in the sun, a cover that goes in the windshield will protect the dashboard against ultraviolet rays and help the cabin stay a little cooler. Sunshades also help prevent the interior from fading over time.
Beat the heat by following these basic maintenance procedures to ensure your vehicle is running at peak performance for the summer driving season. Remember, it’s far better to do preventative maintenance than to have an emergency repair while you’re out on the road.
For more car safety tips and information our Cox Automotive family member Autotrader has “10 Simple Summer Car Care Tips.”
About Sell My Car
Sell My Car is owned by Cox Automotive, one of the largest automotive services firms in the world. We purchase vehicles directly from owners offering a fast, easy and simple way for car owners to sell their cars. Payment is guaranteed on all vehicles and paid into customer’s bank accounts within 24 hours of sale.
About Cox Automotive (www.coxautoinc.com)
Cox Automotive, Inc. is transforming the way the world buys, sells and owns cars with industry-leading digital marketing, software, financial, wholesale and e-commerce solutions for consumers, dealers, manufacturers and the overall automotive ecosystem worldwide. Committed to open choice and dedicated to strong partnerships, the Cox Automotive family includes Manheim®, Autotrader®, Kelley Blue Book®, Dealertrack®, vAuto®, Xtime®, NextGear Capital® and a host of other brands. The global company has nearly 30,000 team members in more than 200 locations worldwide and is partner to more than 40,000 auto dealers a well as most major automobile manufacturers.
Cox Automotive is a subsidiary of Cox Enterprises, Inc., an Atlanta-based company with revenues of more than $18 billion (USD) and approximately 55,000 employees. Cox Enterprises’ other major operating subsidiaries include Cox Communications and Cox Media Group. For more information about Cox Automotive, please visit www.coxautoinc.com.
Sellmycar.com.au is a vehicle buying service backed by Cox Enterprises, a global business with over 50 years experience in the automotive industry.